Expedited Passports services are available, which can reduce the waiting time from 4 weeks to 3 weeks. If you need to travel in less than 10-12 working days, you must appear in person at a US Passport Agency with proof of travel (eg: airline ticket, Itinerary and/or travel confirmation). Essex County residents should go to the Philadelphia Passport Agency, U.S. Custom House, 200 Chestnut Street, Room 103, Philadelphia, PA 19106. Appointments are required; to schedule one, call 1-877-487-2778.
Passport Procedures are set by the United States government, which has a Website listing the full requirements for a US Passport.
What you must do:
For Rush Service, all applicants must appear in person at the Clerk’s office. All applicants must have BOTH parents names on their Birth Certificate, regardless of age. All applicants must have a Social Security number.
Children 15 years of age and under must appear with BOTH parents. Children 16 years of age and over may appear with only one parent. Please DO NOT sign the Passport Application until the Clerk’s representative ask you to do so.
What you must bring:
- A completed US Passport Application (also available on site); AND
- Two (2) identical 2”x2” recent, professional, face-front photographs (photos for adults and children 2 years and older can be taken at the Clerk's Office for an additional $10 charge). Photos must be on a white or light background. No school photographs accepted; AND
- An original or certified copy of a birth certificate with a raised seal and file date issued by a State or Municipal Bureau of Vital Statistics (photocopies are not accepted). Birth certificates must have names of both parents, regardless of age; OR
- A Naturalization Certificate (photocopies are not accepted); OR
- A previous United States passport
AND FOR IDENTIFICATION:
- A valid Driver's License, government identification, Green Card, valid Passport from parent's country, or previous US passport issued after applicant's 16th birthday which is not more than 15 years old.
If an applicant cannot furnish the above identification, the applicant can present:
- 3 additional forms of identification (bring whatever you have); AND
- An identifying witness who has known the applicant for at least 2 years, and is a U.S. citizen or Resident Alien, and can establish his or her own identity by one of the above means.
Children 15 years or younger renewing a U.S. Passport must submit BOTH the Passport and an original or certified copy of Birth Certificate showing full names of both parents.
What it will cost:
- Adults 16 years of age or older - $190.66, payable by personal check or US Postal money order to US Department of State; AND a $41.00 processing/overnight shipping fee payable by cash or US Postal money order to Essex County Clerk.
- Children 15 years of age and younger - $160.66, payable by personal check or US Postal money order to US Department of State; AND a $41.00 processing/overnight shipping fee payable by cash or US Postal money order to Essex County Clerk.