To register to vote in New Jersey you must be:
- a United States Citizen
- at least 18 years old by the next election
- a resident of your home county for 30 days before the election
You are not eligible to register to vote if you are serving a sentence or are on parole or probation, as a result of a conviction of an indictable offense under state or federal law, or have been adjudged mentally incompetent. The Commissioners of Registration cannot accept faxed copies or an electronic transmission of a voter registration form, since an original signature is required. The Voter Registration Form can also be used for name and address changes. Forms must be received 21 days prior to the next election to be able to vote in that election.
What you must do:
- You may download a Voter Registration Form, (Español) or pick one up in person at the Clerk's Office or from your local, municipal clerk, or from a Motor Vehicle Agency office; AND
- Send the completed application to: Essex County Commissioner of Registration, Hall of Records, 465 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, RM 417A, Newark, NJ 07102-9852; OR
- Present the application in person at the Commissioner of Registration's Office.