The Clerk's Office does NOT process Adult Passport renewals. Adults may renew their passport by mail, if the following requirements apply:
- Already have a passport that is not damaged; AND
- Passport has expired LESS THAN 5 years; AND
- Applicant was over the age of 16 when the passport was issued; AND
- Applicant still has the same name as in the passport (or you can legally document your name change on the Passport Renewal form; DS-82).
If you do not meet these requirements, then you must follow the procedures for a New Passport applicant, and appear in person at the Essex County Clerk's Office. Appointments are required at the Essex County Clerk’s office for passport services. To schedule an appointment, please visit the Home page.
What it will cost:
- Adults 16 years of age or older CHOOSING ROUTINE SERVICE - $130.00, payable by personal check or US Postal money order to US Department of State.
- Adults 16 years of age or older CHOOSING EXPEDITED SERVICE - $190.00, payable by personal check or US Postal money order to US Department of State.